Open Accessibility Menu
Hide

HRRMC History

More Than 125 Years Of Quality Healthcare

history

Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center is a nonprofit, Critical Access Hospital in Salida, Colorado. The hospital serves visitors to and the residents of the Upper Arkansas Valley and San Luis Valley, which include Salida, Buena Vista, Poncha Springs, Villa Grove, Saguache, Granite, Howard, and surrounding communities.

HRRMC was established in 1885 as the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Hospital for railroad employees. In 1962, the railroad sold the hospital to a group of local community leaders. The hospital ran as a private corporation until 1976, when the Salida Hospital District was formed, and the community members who had provided money in 1962 were reimbursed. In 1989, the hospital's name changed to Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center, to better reflect the services and area served.

Hospital Changes

hospital

The old hospital on First Street underwent many changes, including two additions. After a fire in 1899, the hospital was rebuilt. During 1924-25, a large, two-story patient wing was added. Another addition and further renovations were made in the early 1980s and again in 1994.

On April 1, 2008, the hospital moved into a new state-of-the-art facility on Hwy. 291, one mile west of the old facility.

On May 20, 2019, the new HRRMC Outpatient Pavilion opened to patients. The Outpatient Pavilion is located adjacent to the hospital on the main campus.

The pavilion was constructed to address growth in medical specialties and the anticipated future expansion of services.

The medical campus will serve the medical needs of the Upper Arkansas Valley for decades to come.

Exceptional Care

Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center is proud to offer exceptional care and a wide range of services to the community and its visitors. Our locally based physicians and visiting specialists provide everything from complete family care to general and specialty surgery.