What exactly does a GI doctor do? Here is a brief list of conditions you
may be treated for and procedures your physician may suggest.
- Upper Endoscopy/EGD - This is a scope of the upper gastrointestinal
tract (i.e. esophagus, stomach and duodenum) to determine the existence
of ulcers and other problems.
- Lower Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - This is a scope of the lower gastrointestinal
tract (i.e. colon and rectum) to determine if there are precancerous polyps,
cancer or inflammatory bowel disease.
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy - This scope looks at the lower colon and rectum
for precancerous polyps and cancer.
- Bernstein/Tensilon Tests - These two tests show the tendency of stomach
acid to reflux into the esophagus causing heartburn and pain.
- Gastritis Test - This test indicates if potentially ulcer-causing
bacteria are present in the system.
- Barium studies (done in conjunction with the Medical Imaging Department)
- These tests are additional indicators of disease in the gastrointestinal system
HRRMC has contracted GI services through Peak Gastroenterology Associates
of Colorado Springs. Peak's board-certified, fellowship-trained gastroenterologists
see patients two days per month at the hospital's Specialty Clinic
and perform procedures at the hospital.
To schedule an appointment, please call 719-530-2477.