Treatment for Digestive Disorders
Gastroenterologists can diagnose and treat many digestive disorders, including
acid reflux, heartburn, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Crohn's disease.
What exactly does a GI doctor do? Here is a brief list of conditions you
may be treated for and procedures your physician may suggest.
- Upper Endoscopy/EGD - This is a scope of the upper gastrointestinal
tract (i.e. esophagus, stomach and duodenum) to determine the existence
of ulcers and other problems.
- Lower Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - This is a scope of the lower gastrointestinal
tract (i.e. colon and rectum) to determine if there are precancerous polyps,
cancer or inflammatory bowel disease.
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy - This scope looks at the lower colon and rectum
for precancerous polyps and cancer.
- Bernstein/Tensilon Tests - These two tests show the tendency of stomach
acid to reflux into the esophagus causing heartburn and pain.
- Gastritis Test - This test indicates if potentially ulcer-causing
bacteria are present in the system.
- Barium studies (done in conjunction with the Medical Imaging Department)
- These tests are additional indicators of disease in the gastrointestinal system.
HRRMC has contracted GI services through Peak Gastroenterology Associates
of Colorado Springs. Peak's board-certified, fellowship-trained gastroenterologists
and nurse practitioner see patients at the HRRMC Outpatient Pavilion and
perform procedures at the hospital.
Robert C. Harmon, M.D.
- Lukasz Kowalczyk, M.D.
- Prashant V. Krishnan, M.D.
- Vanessa D. Lee, M.D.
- Bhaktasharan C. Patel, M.D.
- James E. Rose, M.D.
- Anju K. Sidhu, M.D.
- Leslie Monagle, FNP-BC
- Douglas L. Nguyen, M.D.
- Ugochukwu Nzeako, M.D., MPH
Appointments can be made by referral from your primary care physician or
by calling the HRRMC Outpatient Pavilion at the number below.
HRRMC Outpatient Pavilion
1000 Rush Dr.
Salida, CO 81201